Twilight V2 x64 Bit Crashing all the time (RESOLVED)

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
simulat

Twilight V2 x64 Bit Crashing all the time (RESOLVED)

Post by simulat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 pm

I have been using twilight V1 for about 4 yrs I have Hundreds of files I've drawn and rendered scenes, some of these files are 150-200mb Sketchup documents. In all of that time I have never once had Twilight cause a Bugsplat when I hit the render button. I have recently bought a new computer Intel Xeon Dual core 2.6ghz-3.4ghz 32 threads 32gigs of Ram and a 3gb GTX card. I have installed the new X64 pro version of sketchup, and I was excited to see support for twilight x64 I hadn't upgraded twilight in awhile. So since installing this I have had nothing but problems. Twilight will crash for seemingly no reason... Most of my older 150mb plus models will no longer render, even after the auto conversion. I am working on a project currently and am about to give up and go back to V1 I really want to pay for the pro version of twilight for the new features but I definitely don't want to if it is this unstable. I will list several situations that cause bugsplats that make no sense. I started a new project and deleted all of my old lighting setups and made new ones that matched my old settings because I thought that was the root cause of everything. Once my file gets more complex it will start to bugsplat when I make small adjustments to lights. I'll even go back to old scenes that I was able to render before, and they will no longer render. So I have tested multiple variations on one scene to try to isolate the problem. Iwould select an individual object and only render that with no lights until it would crash so I could see what was causing it. The fist go around I got everything to render except when I would select a background, that I had just dragged into sketchup. This was causing it to bug splat, so I exploded this jpeg and then reselected it and grouped it. My scene would then render, I then tried to make lighting adjustments and group only the objects in that scene to render so it was not taking any other objects in my file into consideration.. It began bugsplatting on me again even after the background image fix. So I isolated my actions again, and it was the mere act of me grouping things together that would cause twilight to crash when hitting render. So I stopped grouping things. I got it to work for a bit but then if I copy a light or make some random adjustment things will start to bugsplat again.. There is really no rhyme or reason to when it happens or how I get it to work again, I just painfully keep trying things over and over or eventually give up and copy the parts of the model I need over to another file to render there. This is annoying because I like having all of my sets in one file and I can move between scenes and things as I'm designing. If anyone on the twilight support team can please help me, I can send you my file it is full of Bugs. I've also been recording video of a lot of these crashes and weird things that get it to work and or crash. This is not an isolated incident either, these weird crashes happen on many many of my older design files.

Thank you

Justin

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Twilight V2 x64 Bit Crashing all the time

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 am

Try turning OFF hardware acceleration. It is only used for post-processing, so probably you won't notice it.

simulat

Post by simulat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 am

Hi,

I just tried that, still bug splatted my whole file.. On first attempt at rendering. I only restarted sketchup, not my whole system. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

simulat

Post by simulat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 am

Hi,

So it's been continuing to crash.. one thing I've been able to do sometimes is when ever I copy a light or move a light, it will crash and not render for me.. so I'l select that light and adjust the brightness by like 0.1 and it will then render... This doesn't always work, but I think there's a bug in the new lighting setup..

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 pm

First, be aware that there is a bug in SketchUp 2015 x64 that has been reported and is likely being fixed. Whether this is related to your problem or not, I don't know.

Second, if you have a file that always crashes, please send it to us. Since your experience isn't the normal experience, we can't fix it if we can't repeat it.

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Also, what version of Twilight Render do you have installed? If you don't have V2.0 M2 installed, please do so. There have been several bug fixes from the original release.

simulat

Post by simulat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Chris,

There are many things in my file that you can easily repeat and make it crash. I'm not sure if that sketchup bug is the cause.. The last 5 renders I've been able to get to work by making my adjustments in the file then just before rendering selecting a point light then adjusting it up or down by 0.1 in brightness, then I only select the objects visible in that scene. Then I render selection only, if I do anything else it will crash, sometimes that doesn't even work or get it to render. I just have to keep doing that until it does. The only time I've had sketchup 2015 crash on me is when I hit the render button in twilight. Do you have an email or something I can send you a download link to the file privately? I have the latest version of sketchup and the twilight version2.0 M2 installed I'm running windows 8.1 pro.

Thank you for your help.

simulat

Post by simulat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Here is a video of my scene crashing, and some adjustments I make that cause it to render again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/826 ... -35-52.mp4

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Send the file to support [at] twilightrender [dot] com

simulat

Post by simulat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks, I sent it in this morning. Please let me know what you find.