Kitchen remodel and first time user

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
longtrip68

Kitchen remodel and first time user

Post by longtrip68 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Hello all, I have enjoyed playing around with SU and TR the last week or so. I decided to use a possible kitchen remodel as a tool for learning both SU and TR. So, here is my first render and the associated SU image. (The dark doorways at the far end of the render lead into an unlit living room and bedroom).

Render settings: Easy 9 at 235 passes.

I have two specific questions:

1) To the right of the fire place there is picture frame hanging on the wall. Why are the images ("pictures") in the frame not visible? (refer to the attached SU image and you can see I have inserted images as textures into the frame; but they don't seem to render for some reason.)

2) I am using ies files for the recessed lighting in the ceiling. The efficiency is set to 100% and the Power to 1.0 for those lights. However, after I began using the ies files in the ceiling the rendered image seemed too dark. So I find myself adjusting the exposure up to as much as 2.00.
a. Is that too much of an adjustment for exposure?
b. What would be considered too much of an exposer adjustment?
c. Should I never adjust the Power or Efficiency of ies lighting?

Note: FWIW The floor lamps along the back wall are the only two lights in that area (the overhead lights are off in the back of the image.)

Thanks,
Dane
SU Model
SU Model
House_Kitchen_Remodel.jpg (275.47 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Rendered on Easy 9, 235 passes.
Rendered on Easy 9, 235 passes.
Easy9_235_0654_1000fit.jpg (249.37 KiB) Viewed 6855 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Kitchen remodel and first time user

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:37 am

longtrip68 wrote:Hello all, I have enjoyed playing around with SU and TR the last week or so. I decided to use a possible kitchen remodel as a tool for learning both SU and TR. So, here is my first render and the associated SU image.
This is an incredibly done first image - I would guess you've got some rendering experience in other render packages?

Render settings: Easy 9 at 235 passes.

I have two specific questions:

1) To the right of the fire place there is picture frame hanging on the wall. Why are the images ("pictures") in the frame not visible? (refer to the attached SU image and you can see I have inserted images as textures into the frame; but they don't seem to render for some reason.)
2) I am using ies files for the recessed lighting in the ceiling. The efficiency is set to 100% and the Power to 1.0 for those lights. However, after I began using the ies files in the ceiling the rendered image seemed too dark. So I find myself adjusting the exposure up to as much as 2.00.
a. Is that too much of an adjustment for exposure?
This sounds correct. good work.
b. What would be considered too much of an exposer adjustment?
Using a computer with a calibrated monitor is important. Then, adjust exposure up until the lightest area is juuuuuust washed out... then back off the exposure a step.
c. Should I never adjust the Power or Efficiency of ies lighting?
Never is a strong word. An artist should start as you've done by using the tool properly. If it is desired you can change the power of the ies light, but realize that is probably going to effect the light possibly in a negative way by making it too bright or too dim in comparison to real world situations... but if that's not important, then feel free to adjust the power of ies lights. Avoid making lights too bright, it will increase render times and increase rendering artifacts. You've done right by adjusting exposure just as a real camera does in order to compensate for the low lighting.
Note: FWIW The floor lamps along the back wall are the only two lights in that area (the overhead lights are off in the back of the image.)
I would turn them on. in arch. magazine images, they turn all the lights on and even add some cleverly hidden artistic fill lights... you can do the same if you wish.

longtrip68

Post by longtrip68 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:28 am

Fletch,

Thanks for the kind words. This is really my first time using rendering software, other than toying with Kerkythea a few years ago. I am slowly learning through this forum and a lot of experimentation!

In my previous post; do you have any suggestions regarding the other question I had about the picture frame not rendering it's photos?

Dane

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:10 am

Hello and welcome Longtrip. That is a real good start. :^:
About the pictures, if the problem is not a back faces showing or overlapped faces then is dificult to say.
Post here the frame SU file like it is to us to test.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:05 pm

it's simple - sorry forgot to answer - the images are too close to the adjacent surface (a.k.a. z-fighting). move the photo .3cm away from the back surface of the picture frame and it should render fine.

pbacot
SketchUp: 2019

Post by pbacot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:29 pm

FWIW. I am not a pro renderer, but this looks great. I would say the lighting is very realistic, but as Fletch mentions, for a magazine or presentation picture you'd generally go for more light. This looks good for an honest look at the mood under real lighting conditions.