Not enough time!

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
WardNL
SketchUp: SketchUp 8 free

Not enough time!

Post by WardNL » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi there,

I've got a problem...
Been using SketchUp for about 2 years now. I mainly use SketchUp for Google Earth 3d modelling, which takes quite a lot of time.
I also like to use SketchyPhysics to play with various scenes and settings. Lately I've been experimenting with TR, rendering and making animations.

All these programs take up a lot of spare time. I feel like I am becoming a bit like a "jack of all trades". I know a little bit everything, but not mastering a certain program. I really would like to improve my rendering skills so I can one day show my work in the Gallery! It's just hard focusing all my attention on one program!

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Ward
Modelling my city for Google Earth:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... d3&ct=mdcc

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Not enough time!

Post by Ecuadorian » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Have you tried making renders for others commercially?
If you do, then all the time you spend experimenting with Twilight and SketchUp can be counted as training.

Phil Meadows

Post by Phil Meadows » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 pm

I know how you feel, Ward. I find myself wondering which I like more, the modeling or the rendering. I've been using SketchUp since version 1.2, and I do really enjoy making models... but texturing and lighting a model is a lot of fun too! Seeing how a bumpmap changes the way flagstone looks is really interesting to me. And with Twilight it's even easier to tweak lighting and texturing. (easier than a certain other renderer... hmm which one could I be talking about? :! )

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Phil Meadows wrote:And with Twilight it's even easier to tweak lighting and texturing. (easier than a certain other renderer... hmm which one could I be talking about?
:! All of them? :totgm: :lol:

remon_v

Post by remon_v » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:36 am

I have the same problem too.... I work at an archtectural firm, so I got to do a lot of 2d drawing. Only for certain projects we do 3D modeling and vis. And even then low standards are required which I use vray for.... so I never get to practise a lot and vray is not easy to learn. I asked my boss if I could start my own buisness in 3D modeling and vis in my spare time and it's oke by him. So I'm getting it sorted out at the moment. It's just nice if you can turn your hobby into a job. I will only do some the work I want to do.