House and Courtyard

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
BenWheels

House and Courtyard

Post by BenWheels » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:02 am

These are a few renders of a little house i've been playing with recently. I'm trying to build up a bit of a folio at the moment so C & C is most welcome.
Attachments
Image 1 Small.jpg
Image 1 Small.jpg (491.02 KiB) Viewed 11897 times
Image 1 Small Dusk.jpg
Image 1 Small Dusk.jpg (394.58 KiB) Viewed 11895 times
Image 2 Small.jpg
Image 2 Small.jpg (414.77 KiB) Viewed 11893 times

BenWheels

Re: House and Courtyard

Post by BenWheels » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:07 am

Some Interior Shots - I decided to change the chairs and flowers over for the dusk render because I wasn't too happy with them. Thanks Oli for those chairs :^:
I think I'll leave the other scenes how they are though, i'm a bit too impatient to re-render them.
Attachments
Image 3 Small.jpg
Image 3 Small.jpg (377.1 KiB) Viewed 11886 times
Image 4 Small.jpg
Image 4 Small.jpg (369.58 KiB) Viewed 11886 times

PhilipK

Post by PhilipK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:26 am

These are great. Love the exterior and first internal shot the most .Trees and vegetation are excellent( can I ask where they are from?).If I had too find fault I would say that the white garden recliner looks a bit sharp like you could cut yourself on it :D .Maybe soften the edges . The lights inside shouldn't have a halo of light on the ceiling if recessed should they? Other than that these look fantastic . What was the settings and times?

:gj:
Philip.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:59 am

Very, very nice renders, Ben... :gj:

Like PhilipK already have pointed out, some of the edges could be improved... In particular the white garden recliner...
Have you seen the Sharp corners = unrealistic thread, where you also can find a link to Fredo6's RoundCorner plugin...??

I also agree about the spotlights looking un-natural... :|
I suggest that you take a look at the Lights - render times... thread I posted, where you can find a good spotlight component, you can learn from... ;)

But all in all, the renders look really good and A LOT better than what many is able to make... :clap:
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

BenWheels

Post by BenWheels » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:57 pm

@Philip
Thanks mate :)
I agree with you on the recliner. I'm going to round those edges and do a re-render of that one. I also agree with you on the lights, I'll re visit those as well.
As for vegetation, Not sure exactly where these ones came from, I have quite a big library of plants that I've been collecting for a while from different places, quite a few I photographed and cutout in Photoshop myself. I think a few of these ones may have been from http://vyonyx.com/category/down/cutout-trees/ they have a pretty good collection of free tree and people cutouts.
As far as settings go I generally used Easy preset 9 except for the two outdoor day shots where I used MLT because I wanted to see some caustics from the pool (Not sure if Preset 9 does caustics, didn't seem to in my test renders) you can see it near the bbq on the roof in those renders. Generally left them over night or when I was at work, so each one was left for about 6 -8 hours. I need to have a play with some other render presets, I'm sure some quicker methods could get comparable results.

@Frederik
Thanks for the tips. The spotlight one is a beauty :) I do have the roundcorner plugin, its a really great tool. I rounded the majority of the corners in the scene. Definitely didn't do those though, its a shame because they are the most obvious with that shot being so close to the chair. I'm going to round them and do a re-render. Also will look at the lights and do some re-renders. Thanks a lot for the tips :D

I will post updates when I have updated the scene.

Pilou

Post by Pilou » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Glass and lemon slice are terrific like the other thing! :^:
Pilou (Frenchy)
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie

WardNL
SketchUp: SketchUp 8 free

Post by WardNL » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Wow.... wonderful renders!

But i.m.o. the white outside wall is a bit TOO white. Really in your face white!
Modelling my city for Google Earth:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... d3&ct=mdcc

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:09 pm

fantastic renderings! :clap:

agree with other comments. the white walls and trees in first, the lights in the last... see below.
Attachments
fixthelights.jpg
fixthelights.jpg (95.64 KiB) Viewed 11766 times
fixthetrees.jpg
fixthetrees.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 11764 times

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:40 pm

These images are just one step away from Architecture Magazine cover...

Congratulations! :gj:

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:51 pm

I really like the third view :gj:
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/